In this article, you will learn how to download Plex media content that you can use even offline. Remember that this feature is only available for Windows and Mac devices; there is no guarantee that this will work on your phone either. We will also provide you with some of the requirements and criteria your account must have to download content on Plex that you can access offline.
Some of the requirements and criteria that your account must have
- Your profile should be premium. You will not have access to this feature unless your account is premium. In other words, you must have a Plex Pass subscription for you to be able to access it and the ability to use this feature. If you do not, you cannot download any content you can watch, even offline.
- The version of the Plex Media Server must be 1.16.3 and above this one. If you have an older version of the Plex Media Server, you will not be able to download the content and enjoy it even offline.
- Lastly, your Plex Media Server and the Plex app on your Windows or Mac device must be signed in to your premium Plex account. Otherwise, you will not have access to this feature.
The process to download content for offline access on Plex
To download a movie or TV show, you must first open the Plex app on your device and log into your account. After that, continue to the first step here.
- Go through your Plex media files until you find the one you want to download and the one you want to view, even when you are offline.
- After you have found the TV show or a movie file you want to download, place your cursor over that TV show/movie’s poster so that a few buttons become visible.
- You should be able to see the three-dotted button in the bottom corner of that poster; click on it to expand the menu with several different options.
- Look for the Download option in the menu that should be shown on your screen. It will probably be located at the bottom of that menu there. A new window should appear on your screen by clicking on the Download option.
- You will be able to see the Download Options window on your screen. Here you should select whether or not you want to delete the episodes from your device right after you have played them. Select Never if you do not want to delete them automatically. Also, you should see the option to select which episodes you want to download, choose the number of episodes, or select All Episodes if you want to download all of them. Click on the Save button after you are done with that.
- The download process should begin shortly after pressing the Save button. You can cancel the download anytime you want to. Just access the menu from step three to cancel it, and then click on the Cancel Download button. If the process has been completed and you want to delete those files, simply erase them.
- You can access the content you have downloaded anytime by opening the Downloads tab in the Plex app.