Google Chrome allows users to access all kinds of websites without restrictions. While it is useful to find information on the world-wide-web, sometimes it may be a good idea to block websites to restrict activity on certain websites.
There are multiple reasons for doing so. An employer may want to increase the productivity of their workers by blocking websites such as Facebook or YouTube. On the other hand, a parent may wish to restrict the websites a child may visit.
Thus, these are solutions to help you block websites in Google Chrome.
How to block websites in Google Chrome
There are two main methods to do so. The first is easier and less technical. Therefore, it is a better option to try it out first.
Method 1: Adding an extension
- Pull up your Google Chrome browser. In the search engine, search for the Chrome web store. Click on the link that will take you to the store.
- The website has a box that says, "Search the store." In that box, type in "BlockSite." Then press the enter key on your keyboard.
- Look for the extension called BlockSite – Website Blocker for Chrome. You may use alternative extensions as well. However, this extension is the most commonly used.
- Click on the Add to Chrome option. When a pop-up window appears, click on the Add extension.
- You will then be directed to a new page. On the page, there will be a portion where you can add the URL of the websites you wish to block.
- Type in the website address, then click on the green plus icon on the right side of the box.
This option is available for laptop or PC users. This function is available on Google Play Store if you are an Android user. Download the BlockSite app, and the solution is roughly the same. For iOS users, there are similar apps. However, most require payment to use the service.
Method 2: Blocking a Website Without the Extension
If you have a Google admin account, you can use it to block the sites you want. Here is how to do that:
- Sign in to your Google admin account
- Go to the Home page
- Choose Devices
- Now click Chrome > Settings
- Select Users & Browsers
- If you want to block sites for all users, choose the top organizational unit
- If you want to block sites for kids only, choose a child organizational unit
- Find the URL Blocking option by scrolling down
- Enter the URLs you want under Blocked URLs
- You can enter up to 1000 URLs
- When you are done, click Save.