As much as Twitch is a great platform to stream live video games and chat, it is also a good place to interact and form new friendships. And better yet, the friendships formed here are out of the mutual interest in a particular thing. You can add a friend by either searching for their name or from a live stream. This article will guide you on how to add a friend on Twitch.
You can add friends on both the app and the web. Before you go into that business, you first need to sign up for a Twitch account which is easy to do.
Adding a friend from the web
From a stream, here’s how you can add a friend:
- Click on Twitch.tv in your web browser.
- If you have one, use your account’s credentials to sign in to it. Once this is done, Twitch will always open up to a streaming video that they have picked out for promotional purposes.
- Navigate to the stream you have in mind. Still, you can click on a random one if you are here to learn.
- Once you click on stream, it should start to play automatically. On the right side of the screen, you should see the chat area. Those who have joined the live stream have a chance to send messages in that space.
- If you’ve gone random, scroll through the chat area and pick a name. Once you click it, a small menu will appear and you will see an ‘Add Friend’ button on the left side. Click on it.
The button will now become ‘Cancel Request’. This should tell you that the one you’ve added has received your request and you can choose to accept or decline it (just like on Facebook).
From the search bar, here’s how you can add a friend:
- Make sure you are on the home page and that you are on your account (as in steps 1 and 2).
- On the bottom left side of the screen, you will see a text box with this message inside it: Search to Add Friends.
- Type the name of the Twitch user you want to be friends with. If the name is correctly typed, you should see the results just above the text box.
- Click on the icon next to the username to send a friend request. Alternatively, you can click on their name and when a chatbox appears on the bottom of the screen, click on the ‘Settings’ button and then click ‘Add Friend’.
Adding a friend from the app
Doing it on a stream:
- From your home screen or your list of apps, tap on the Twitch icon.
- Enter your username and password to log in to your account. This should open you up to the "Following" screen.
- To navigate to a stream, tap on the ‘Discover’ tab. From there, click on a live stream.
- You should be shown the chat area of the live stream. Tap on the name. On the menu that displays, choose "Friend". A "Friend Request Pending" message will briefly show then fade out.
Doing it by search:
- From the home screen, click on the callout icon in the top-right corner. This opens the ‘Social’ page under the ‘Friends’ tab.
- Tap on the "Add Friends" button in the middle of the screen. Then, add the name of whoever you want to become friends with.
- Click their name on the displayed results.
- Once their profile opens, tap on the ‘Friend’ button. It will be changed to "Request Sent".